Saturday, June 11, 2011

First Day Festivities

This morning we had breakfast, and I was hungry after I ate it. Yes, you read that correctly. I had a total of one roll. Oh, and a small (very small) cup of orange juice. What happened to protein at every meal?

Before we departed for our day on the town, we were divided into small groups of 3 or 4 to go on a scavenger hunt. Let me just say that scavenger hunts in foreign countries are much harder than they may seem. How are we supposed to communicate with store owners when we don't speak Italian?! Once the scavenger hunt was complete (well, all that we could complete...), we stopped for lunch at a delicious and quaint little restaurant before heading on to a museum to see the Statue of David. I had heard about the statue and had seen pictures of the statue and had studied the statue (kind of...), but it wasn't until I was standing in front of him when I understood how amazing and BIG! he is. Not exaggerating, I stood in front of him for 10 minutes totally mesmerized, admiring ever detail and every crevice before walking around to see him from behind. For a good 30 minutes, I stared, entirely in awe. And I'm not one for museums, so that is saying a lot.

After being on our feet all day, we got to be on out feet even longer! Mom, you would have been miserable...my feet were killing me! For dinner, it wasn't the normal sit-down dinner that was to be expected. Instead, we took a cooking class! We made a three course meal starting with spinach ravioli. First, we made the dough, thinned it out, cut it into squares, placed spinach on it, and pinched it closed. I'd say thats a lot of steps for 1 little ravioli! Especially since we had to make over 100 little raviolis! For the second course, we had Chicken Cacciatora. I am not able to explain how to make it considering I was at a different station, but not to worry, I have the recipe! Lastly (but the most important!), we had Tiramisu for dessert. Although I am a tad bit bias considering I helped make it along with Erin, the Tiramisu was delicious! Altogether the meal was fabulous, and it tasted even better knowing we made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment